The UHC (Ultra High Contrast) broadband filter is designed to improve the visibility of various deepsky objects. By selectively reducing the transmission of wavelengths of light pollutants, specifically those produced by artificial lightings including mercury vapor lamps, both high & low pressure sodium vapor lights and the unwanted natural light caused by neutral oxygen emission in our atmosphere (i.e. skyglow).
Together with the highly transparent in main nebula emission lines at OIII(496nm and 500nm), H-beta (486nm), NII(654nm and 658nm), H-alpha(656nm) as well as SII(672nm), the filter is suitable for enhancing the contrast and details for both visual and photograghic purpose at sub-rural area with heavy light pollution.
Main Use and Performance
- Suitable for color CCD cameras and unmodified DSLRs
- UHC with narrower passband provides higher contrast than CLS. Thus it is more suitable for urban environment where you suffer from severe light pollution.
- UHC has a substantial red passband and offer superb views for objects like the Orion Nebula (M42)
- Light pollution filter do not eliminate the effects of light pollution or increase the object’s brightness. In many cases, they increase the contrast between nebula and night sky, not brightening the nebula.
- WARNING: The filters of Optolong are not designed for sun observation. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITH OPTOLONG FILTER. You would be BLIND if you fail to observe the warning.
- Schott substrate material
- Thickness 2.0 mm (1.25”/2”/36mm/77mm/82mm)
- Thickness 1.0 mm (Clip series)
- Surface Quality: 60/40 (Refer to MIL-O-13830)
- Fine-optically polished to ensure accurate 1/4 wavefront and <30 seconds parallelism over the both surfaces
- 95% transmission of main nebula emission lines (i.e. H-alpha 656nm, OIII 496nm and 500nm, SII 672nm and H-beta 486nm
- 0.1% transmission of off-band, specifically the major emission lines of artificial light pollution (i.e. Na 589nm, Hg 435nm and 578nm). Transmission of 0.1% is equivalent to OD3(Optical Density), and a high optical density value indicates very low transmission, and low optical density indicates high transmission.
- Multi-layers anti-reflection coating
- Non-cementing optical substrate coating
- Electron-beam gun evaporation with Ion-assisted deposition coating technology for durability and resistance to scratching, as well as stability on CWL(central wavelength) no deviation affected by temperature change
- Planetary rotation system offers precision and homogeneity of coatings ensuring high value on transmission of pass-band and Optical density of off-band
- Ultra-thin filter cell minimize vignetting by maximize possible clear aperture (clear aperture is 26mm for 1.25”; 45mm for 2”)
- Aerometal Material | Precise CNC Machining | Sand Blasting Process | Black Anodized Finish | Extinction Treatment to Prevent Reflection | Laser Engraving No Fading
- Plastic PP Case | Imported High Pressure EVA Case Lining | Silver Cardboard Box | High Density Sponge Carton Lining
- Standard 1.25” & 2” | Round 77mm & 82mm mounted | Round 36mm Unmounted | Clip Filter Series
- The Major Emission Lines of Nebulae
- H-β486.1nm OIII 495.9nm OIII 500.7nm H-α656.3nm
- The Major Emission Lines of Artificial Light Pollution
- Hg 435.8nm 546.1nm 577nm 578.1nm
- Na 598nm 589.6nm 615.4nm 616.1nm
More Astronomy Filter
|Broadband Filter||Bandpass Photo Filter||Other Photo Filter|
|IR Pass 685nm
Night Sky H-Alpha